Wednesday, May 12, 2010

PDA Issues


PDA aka Public Display of Affection.

I am not a fan.

Really my issue isn't the fact that a person would want to show someone else love and affection. I think it is more a matter of the amount of affection I am comfortable with being exposed to. Personally I don't mind holding hands in public or a little kiss. Where my issue lies is that people think we as the public desire to watch them act upon their sexual desires. If I am allowed to speak for the public, I say "we don't want to see it."

I have no problem with a husband showing his wife adoration. I have no problem witnessing lovebirds share a special moment. I do have a problem with being bombarded with love starved people all over each other when I walk down the street, drive past a school, sit in a movie theatre, go to buy my groceries.

Go anywhere.

The issue isn't the fact that people want to show their love in public. It's that we have a planet full of hurting people just wanting to be noticed. Girls who will do anything for attention. Guys who are OK with girls doing anything because they think it is normal and healthy.

We have lost our grasp on self control. We have been numbed by media, images and unhealthy relationships to the point where we don't understand what respecting ourselves or others means. We have removed God from our standards and lessened our value as humans.

I remember in high school dreading the walk down the hallway. There were certain sections of the school that would be lined with love hungry adolescents swapping gum and retainers between classes. I always thought there were deeper reasons for this behaviour not just the need for a different flavoured Trident.

No matter how awkward I felt witnessing these acts I always felt there was something wrong with me. No boy ever asked me to make out in front of the cafeteria.

I was affected by these actions. It appeared to be the norm. What was right and acceptable.

My point...

I respect people who desire their mate. I understand what it is like to desperately want to kiss my spouse. I get that teens and adolescents are being controlled by hormones and stormed by societal views. I also know that I have been tasked with self control, honouring God and respecting others. As much as I desire to lock lips with my honey I don't necessarily know that lady in the blue car shares my passion and wants to witness it. Or that guy buying bananas wants to see me get a little carried away behind the orange cart.

It all comes down to my actions affecting others.

The kids in school that are making out in between classes have been affected by someone. They have been exampled to, validated and shown it's what makes them valuable.

That's a lie.

PDA. I don't like it. I don't want to see it. I don't want to be responsible for making someone think that it is acceptance.

That's my PDA issue.
LJ

No comments: