Monday, May 24, 2010

Perceptions of Worth

I took a little stroll today; I had to pick up some things. While I was walking I was doing my usual people watching thing. I immediately noticed a man in front of one of our town's small shoppe's. He was on his cell phone, speaking very loudly. He was pacing back and forth, drawing attention to himself. He appeared nervous.

I went into the shoppe and picked up my items. Standing in line waiting to pay the woman in front of me continued to apologize for taking so long. It didn't bother me. I am an exact change user myself.

My turn.

As I proceeded to step toward the counter the man from out front of the store entered. Still talking very loudly he cut in front of me, made a grand statement and left again. All while he was on his cell phone.

I paid the nice lady behind the counter and was on my way. Back on the street I noticed a lady on the bench. She picked at her nails and tried to act as though she wanted to sit on the bench by herself but I knew by her lost stare that she was the furthest away from fine. I think she was praying for someone to sit down beside her.

To my right I noticed a group of girls. They consumed a summer treat while being groped by their latest boy craze. Groping is not my idea of the perfect summer activity but it seemed to be theirs. I believe if they were able to be honest with themselves all they wanted was their ice cream.

Escaping the sun and finding refuge in my store my mind swirled in the confines of my skull.

Why do people seek power, acceptance and recognition for anything more than who they are.

I thought about the man's phone conversation. He wasn't talking business. It sounded like he was talking to a friend and they were catching up. His display made me believe he wanted the world to know that he had friends.

The woman in the store felt she had to let me know that she isn't always slow. She used apology as a mask probably because she feels and has been told everything she does is wrong.

The woman on the bench wanted everyone to think she was secure with her loneliness and that any minute a friend would come along. Deep down she probably couldn't even think of one person to call a friend.

The girls carried on with their boy companions because they obviously felt that their value is measured by how little clothing they can wear or how much they allow boys to touch them.

Our world is hurting. The brokenness lines our sidewalks.

I wish I could walk up to the news stand and read "Average size actress is talented and a really nice person." To see headlines that don't make hard working husbands feel as though they aren't giving their families the best life. To have the media propagating studious kids and purity, teaching teens that the person they see in the mirror is valuable.

I wish I could change it all.


1 comment:

Jen F. said...

love this, Leah...thanks for sharing...