Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Son The Parakeet

Lately my son has been changing. He has turned the corner of infant street and is now barrelling down toddler lane. He is fun, he is happy, he is running, chatting and loving life. He is showing us more and more of who he is each day.

One very early morning my son woke up. Of course he woke everyone in the house up with his screams and noises. To make a really long, painful experience short, I ended up taking my son down to the play room to run off some of the energy he had stored up and felt the need to burn off around 2:30am. Being totally exhausted and half hearted about my parenting I came to a point where I didn't care if my son slept, ran outside with the wolves or was in a different country. I just wanted to go back to sleep. Not knowing what to do I grabbed a blanket off the couch and threw it over his head. A desperate move but a brilliant one. As soon as the soft butter like blanket made contact with my sons head he stopped. Frozen. He sat there on the couch completely still, making no noise. I of course was unsure of what was happening. My son had just been climbing, running, crazy all over the place screaming and now he just sat there. Of course I milked the moment as long as possible and then slowly pulled the blanket off his head. Sitting there completely motionless was Ti-J. He had a huge smile on his face and was starring at the ground. Still not moving. I proclaimed the magic word of BOO and he swung his head up and began to laugh. That sweet from the gut laugh.

After that moment he snuggled in and was off to sleep. I don't want to brag but I think I have discovered a new form of parenting. My book will be released this fall entitled "How to Stop the Screaming, Throw Something On It, 10 Steps to Calming and Quieting Your Child Using Household Decor". I think I'm on to something.

The next morning as Ti was playing I made a horrifying discovery. Earlier that day in my attempt to attain peace and quiet I had created a new game. A loved game. Running frantically around the room screaming at the top of his lungs, my son ran to the couch and grabbed the blanket. He put it on his head and went silent.

OH NO!


Not only did I discover this new, really annoying game, but I discovered my son's animal characteristic, he is a parakeet. The lights go out and he goes silent. So now instead of enjoying snuggly time in my blanket I spend hours a day throwing it over my son's head and pulling it off with a "BOO!" It could be worse I guess, and if he is really annoying me I just leave the blanket on his head a little longer than normal. I only have a little longer before he figures out mommy's little trick!

LJ

1 comment:

Jen Foster said...

LOVE IT!!! My belly laugh for the day..thanks!