Saturday, July 17, 2010

Where Do I Drop Off My Resume?

Last night crawling into bed I wrapped my weary body in my luxurious buttery textured blanket, breathing deeply, taking in the scents of the recently cleansed fabric and I thought to myself,

"Where do I hand in my resume to get this job?"

The thinking to myself was actually me verbalizing this to my husband and what I meant was someone has to smell fabrics, and curl up in them to determine softness & comfort. Someone has to smell detergents to know whether the scent is pleasing to the senses. How do they name scents like ocean mist and spring rain? Someone has to come up with this stuff. I can come up with creative alluring names like sea-side breeze or fresh cut grass.

So why not me?

In my head I imagine that someone out there, somewhere as a job gets to curl up in a king sized beds smelling blankets and feeling their textures and plushness to know whether the consumer would fall in love with the product and it would quickly become their "must have" or whether it would end up on the clearance rack in a specialty 3rd's store.

So why not me?

I wouldn't know where to even begin looking for this job. If I had of known that this was a career option in high school I would have spent more time in bed and less time racking my brains trying to solve difficult algebraic equations such as 5/(y-3) = 1 + (y+7)/(2y-6) (side note, there is no solution). My guidance counselor never opened my eyes to this type of career path. I wish she had of, cause at this point I could have used the education in scent identification and could have done my research on what feels good and what people are looking for in their bedding & blankets. Too late I suppose.

At this stage of life, I am job hunting. We are closing our retail location in our small town and even though I will continue running our book business through a local camp Joy Bible Camp (plug), book tables & special ordering from our home I will probably have to find something else to supplement.

If you know where I can apply for the position of "Official Scent Namer" or "Comfort & Relaxation Determiner" for fabrics, bedding, furniture or other such lounge/recreation positions put in a good word for me.

LJ










No comments: